Pecan Tres Leches Cake
Prep Time 50 min
Cook Time 41 min
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Hygeia Dairy milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup Hygeia Dairy heavy whipping cream
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ¾ cup Hygeia Dairy heavy whipping cream
- 3 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon gray sea salt, crushed or kosher salt
- Heat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour 9-inch square pan; set aside.
- To make cake, in medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In large mixer bowl combine sugar and butter; beat on medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamed (1 to 2 minutes). Add egg yolks and vanilla. Continue beating until well mixed. Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating at low speed after each addition, until fluffy (do not overmix); set aside.
- In small mixer bowl with whip attachment beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into cake batter. Add pecans; stir just until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely.
- In small bowl stir together whipping cream and sweetened condensed milk. Gently place cooled cake in larger pan with sides. Pour whipping cream mixture over cake; let stand 10 minutes to absorb liquid.
- Meanwhile, to make frosting, in large mixer bowl combine butter and cream cheese; beat on medium speed until creamy. Reduce speed to low; gradually add powdered sugar, beating after each addition and scraping bowl often, until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla; beat until well mixed. Slice cake horizontally into three equal layers. Place one layer on serving plate; frost top with 1/3 frosting. Place second layer on top; frost top with 1/3 frosting. Place third layer on top; frost top with remaining frosting or reserve remaining frosting to garnish after drizzling with caramel topping.
- To make caramel topping, in 1 ½-quart saucepan combine sugar and water. Cook over medium low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high; bring mixture to a boil, do not stir. Boil for 5 to 6 minutes or until deep amber color. Remove from heat; whisk in whipping cream (mixture will bubble). Stir in butter and salt. Pour caramel topping into serving dish.
- To serve cake, cut into pieces and serve drizzled with warm caramel topping. If reserved frosting, garnish with frosting. Store cake and caramel topping refrigerated; warm caramel topping for serving.